How to Encrypt a PDF
Encryption of a PDF file is a very useful process. Oftentimes, we may have many important and official documents saved as PDF files which we wish to avoid being accessible to everyone who sees them. In such scenarios, it is very useful to have your files encrypted so that they remain limited to your own and other trusted eyes only.
The information in the document is converted to a code and can only be accessible using a password. If you would like to learn a bit more about how to make your documents encrypted, give this document a read!
How to Encrypt a PDF Online for Free?
Before moving on with specifics, we would like to introduce you to CocoDoc which is an amazing platform for all your document editing needs. With an easy-to-use interface, reliable protection for your entire file and complete security, CocoDoc will help you work efficiently and fearlessly.
To encrypt your PDF file with CocoDoc, check the following steps:
- Enter and open CocoDoc in your browser window.
- Use the drag and drop feature or the browse PC feature to find your file and add it.
- Once uploaded, choose a password for the document. Make sure to keep it a mix of different types of characters yet not so difficult that you are unable to remember it.
- Look for the “Encrypt” button and click on it to start the process immediately.
- Once completed, click on “Download” to retrieve your encrypted PDF.
How to Encrypt a PDF File on Mac?
If you are an apple lover and use a mac for all of your official work, there is another way in which you may encrypt your PDF files. You probably would have heard of “Preview”. Preview is the built-in mac software for all of your PDF needs.
You can use it to edit, annotate, convert, combine and even encrypt not just your files but also many forms and other documents you might have. It is truly a very handy software which makes life way easier.
Here is a step by step guide on how you can go about encrypting your PDF using Preview:
- Open the Preview app on your Mac.
- Open the desired PDF you wish to encrypt on the app.
- Click on File.
- Click on Export.
- Select Encrypt.
- Choose a password keeping the same guidelines mentioned earlier in mind.
- Retype your password to confirm.
- Click save and your PDF will now be encrypted.
How to Encrypt a PDF File on Windows?
For all the Windows enthusiasts out there, rest assured we haven't forgotten you. The software which is the ever-reliant one on Windows is none other than Adobe Acrobat which you all must have heard about.
Being one of the most used software in the world and having multiple variants to suit everyone, Adobe is the one place to shop for everything you could possibly need to do with a PDF.
To learn how to encrypt your PDF file using Adobe, follow the following steps:
- Open Adobe Acrobat and open your PDF in Acrobat DC.
- Click on ‘File’
- Choose ‘Protect Using Password’
- Select whether you require the password for editing the PDF or for just viewing it.
- Type and then retype your password in the respective bars. It will tell you the strength of your password as you enter it.
- Click on ‘Apply’ and a conformational message will show on the screen informing of the successful encryption of your file.
PDFs are an essential part of the world today with them being used for all sorts of official files and documents. In order to keep up with this fast-paced world, everyone should be aware of how to handle their PDFs.
We have covered the steps of the encryption process for your PDFs via multiple different sources like CocoDoc with this document. One of these should definitely apply to you and would guide you on how to go about the process of encrypting your PDF file.
Compared to the other ones, CocoDoc doesn’t rely on the type of device you have to let you work. It works perfectly with all.